Thursday, July 17, 2014

FFN Recipe: Fish tacos, coleslaw and Mexican rice

I love fish tacos!  Last summer, when we went on vacation to Panama City Beach, I had fish tacos everywhere we went!  But you and I both know, they’re not especially healthy when served in any restaurant.  So I went on a mission to find a recipe I could modify to fit into the FirstFitness Nutrition menu guide.  I love eating REAL food and finding a good recipe that meets my goals is important.  I don’t cook fancy often, but when I do I go all out!

My fish “tacos” were created by using endive as a shell, piling on the fish and then drizzled it with some of the sauce.  On top of that, I added this coleslaw and had a side of Mexican rice that was awesome! 

FFN Friendly Coleslaw
1 16 oz bag of shredded cabbage or one small cabbage shredded
½ bunch of green onions
½ red onion, cut into thin slivers
½ red pepper, cut into thin slivers
½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
1-2 jalopenos, seeded and minced
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1-2 limes, juiced
1 tbsp cumin
Salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients in large bowl, mix well & chill.

Sauce for tacos
½ cup greek yogurt
½ cup green salsa

Combine all ingredients in bowl, mix well & chill.

Fish
White fish (tilapia, swai, etc)-1 filet per person:  I seasoned mine with a little garlic/onion powder

Bake or grill until flakey.


FFN Friendly Mexican Rice
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup Iberia parboiled brown rice
1/3 cup white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, diced
1/2 poblano pepper, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lime
Cilantro, chopped for garnish

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil to medium heat. Add the rice and stir to coat with oil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the rice starts to toast and become aromatic. Add the onions, garlic, jalapeño and poblano pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.

2. Add the remaining ingredients, minus the olives, stir gently to combine. Taste for salt, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and continue cooking for 18 to 20 minutes or until all the broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving. Garnish with lime juice and cilantro before serving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment